Monday, May 18, 2009

I made it

I'm in Dhaka! All is well now, although yesterday i was seriously struggling with jet lag. At 4 in the afternoon my body though it was approximately 3 a.m., but then I went to sleep at 5 pm yesterday and woke up at 6 this morning, so I think I'm good to go. Two nights of "sleeping" on a plane sucked, even though Emirates planes are amazing.

I got to the Dhaka airport at 9 am yesterday and was picked up by an employee of the hotel. It took like 20 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel... one of the scarier experiences of my life. Apparently lanes are just suggestions for drivers here, and rickshaws are on the road with the cars. Chaos.

So I got to the hotel around 10, spent some time unpacking, and walked over to the bank at noon. It took about 10 minutes to walk there... people on the streets would stop whatever they were doing and stare at me. When I got to the bank, I met Mr. Sabul, my coordinator. I did some other orientation type stuff, ate lunch at the Grameen Cafeteria (cost tk 40, which is a little bit more than 50 cents), and came back to the hotel and crashed. My coordinator said that we'll be going to a village tomorrow for the day, and then next week we'll be spending 4 or 5 nights at a village. Today we're going to figure out exactly what I'm doing for my whole time here. The internet here is really sketchy and I can't figure out how to post pictures because the website is messed up, so more to come later...

1 comment:

  1. yay! you have internet! by the website is messed up, do you mean the website is written in bengali? hopefully not. So does that mean you are able to use your own computer? hopefully. glad to hear people like looking at you so much. can't blame them, really. miss you

    ReplyDelete