Friday, May 15, 2009

Journey to the Third World begins

So I'm leaving for Bangladesh tomorrow. I leave NOLA at 12, fly to Houston, then fly to Dubai, and then to Dhaka. Total travel time = 38 hours (plus 10 hour time difference, so 48 hours clock time). I think I'm pretty much as ready as I can be- I have a few interesting books, 1st season of Scrubs, ear plugs, an eye mask, and Ambien (thank you Dr. Hart...). I'm hoping the combination of Lariam and Ambien will cause some sweet side effects.

Here's what I know about what I'll be doing for the next month: I have an internship at the Grameen Bank. I have little to no idea what that entails, but I'm under the impression that I'll be spending most of my time working at the bank's main office in Dhaka, and I'll have the chance to go on a few trips to the branch offices in rural villages. I'm staying at the Grand Prince Hotel (the "premer" hotel in Bangladesh, according to their website), and they are picking me up at the airport with a placard with my name on it. From the hotel, I'm planning on tacking a taxi (or a rickshaw????) to the Bank. They think I'm getting to the Bank at 12:00am instead of 12:00 pm on Monday, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

2 comments:

  1. you're a pro at this blogging thing. I miss you already. You'll do great over there. I hope the hotel is as good as their website...TAKE THE RICKSHAW.

    also, this is important: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBb6YLLnYLU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica:

    Looks like an exciting trip..
    Take photos of your hotel and room.

    Have a great time

    Ivan and Lynne

    ReplyDelete